[ESS] What is easiest way to add an 'S+7' command?

Stephen Eglen S.J.Eglen at damtp.cam.ac.uk
Mon Oct 3 19:08:11 CEST 2005

dstivers at mdanderson.org writes:
 > I too am in the position of using version 6 sometimes and version 7
 > sometimes; I thought about using S+3 or S+4 to start version 7, but aren't
 > there some differences in the way that ESS handles S+3, S+4 and S+6?
 >
 > At present, I only have access to a single license of S+7, but virtually
 > unlimited S+6, so I usually fire up S+7 outside of xemacs when I need to
 > use it.
 >
 > Main Splus environment: SuSE 9.3 64 bit, ess version 5.2.10, xemacs
 > 21.5.18, Splus 6.2.1 or 7.0.3

If you don't mind being a beta tester, just today I added code to the
CVS version of ESS to do this.  It has not yet been tested (as I have
no access to S, so I've been pretending R is S+7.

Steps.

1. Upgrade to the latest CVS version (as described in manual)

2. Before you load ess-site in your init file, add something like:

(setq ess-s-versions-list
      '(
	("Splus7" "/path/to/Splus7/bin/splus7")))

Restart xemacs, and then hopefully you should get
M-x Splus7 to run, pretending to be a version of S+6.

Alternatively, if you have an executable called something like
"Splus7" on your path, M-x Splus7 should be set up automatically,
without requiring ess-s-versions-list to be set.

All this is unix only (not windows, for which there are already other
approaches).

Stephen