[ESS] Remote use of S/R (ess-remote, S+elsewhere)

Seth Falcon sethfalcon at gmail.com
Mon Nov 7 16:50:05 CET 2005

On  7 Nov 2005, blindglobe at gmail.com wrote:

> I'm cleaning up old code, and found a bit that I'd like to commit --
> does anyone have issues with removing the "deprecated" functions,
> S+elsewhere ?

>From a user perspective, I think the documentation is clear that
ess-remote is the way to do things.

> Anyone doing remote S work (S-PLUS, R) should be using ess-remote;
> and while I know there are issues (i.e. I have them, from ancient
> Cygwin connecting to ancient AIX), but am working on them.  Any
> issues should be reported this week while I'm fixing them.

Well, I have two things that I would really like to see improved:

1. I would like help to work through a remote R session.  Right now,
   if I do C-c C-v when working with a remote R, I get garbled and
   paged help output in the R session buffer.  Instead, I would like
   the behavior for when using a local R: a new frame comes up with
   the help nicely formatted and easy to navigate.

2. I would like to be able to send a C-c to the R process to kill a
   computation without terminating R and my ssh connection.  This
   issue has been recently discussed on the list.

Best,

+ seth