[ESS] RGUI not responding

Richard M. Heiberger rmh at temple.edu
Thu Mar 31 20:01:03 CEST 2005

In Xemacs I get a session like that by default as I launch.  I'd love
not to have that so presumably that means there's something I've got
in that ess-site.el that is launching that inferior R without waiting
to be asked.  Maybe that's a problem?  However, that's been the case
ever since I first installed Xemacs/ESS over a year or so ago I'd
say.

Something is not right.  R should not launch by itself.
Did you accidentally place R on your Windows startup directory?

Or is there something strange in your site-start.el or .emacs or init.el?
Run an emacs session without any of those

emacs -q --no-site-file
then load ess-site.el manually and see what happens.

> If the PATH isn't right or if you changed the value of
> inferior-R-program-name, that could cause trouble.
>
> Check your PATH from the
>    M-x shell
Xemacs gives:

A subdirectory or file .exe already exists.
Error occurred while processing: .exe.
A subdirectory or file -i already exists.
Error occurred while processing: -i.

Process cmd.exe exited abnormally with code 1

This is weird.  What did you do to get .exe to be a file name?