[ESS] no gnuclient

Richard M. Heiberger rmh at temple.edu
Sat Mar 26 01:15:16 CET 2005

On windows you want gnuclient.
ftp://ftp.gnu.org/old-gnu/emacs/windows/contrib/
get both gnuserv.zip and gnuzerv.readme.nt

When you start S-Plus on Windows, we set the editor to gnuclient and
the pager to gnuclientw.  You should not be seeing notepad when you work from ESS.

>From Unix, we normally use emacsclient.

The line you quote
   options("editor"="xemacs")
looks wrong to me.  With FSF emacs, you would not want that as it
would start an entirely new instance of emacs.

We recommend that the master copy be kept in an ascii file myfile.r, and that the
object in .RData is secondary.  If you need to make a change, we recommend that you
change the ascii file and then load the revised file.
See the section in the ESS manual on Philosophies for using ESS[S].
The manual is
in .../ess/doc/html/ess.html