[ESS] Debugging in R

Ross Boylan ross at biostat.ucsf.edu
Fri Jun 24 22:29:52 CEST 2005

On Fri, 2005-06-24 at 21:41 +0200, Kasper Daniel Hansen wrote:

> I think that what Martin observed is that some ESS functionality hangs.
> Eg. ESS has tab completion for the help function, and that does not work
> in a recover session. But I think that what you are describing is
> something different - that everything hangs?
Correct.
> So let me clarify: when I do
> options(error = recover) it works exactly as under the console - but I
> might have problems with some extended ESS functionality.
>
> Your message seems to indicate that it worked recently. I am using
> Emacs 22.0.50.1 under Mac Os Tiger with ESS 52.8 (the newest).
>
> I am not sure I can help further - I am quite mystified if using
> options(error = recover) crashes the Emacs session...

I've narrowed the problem down.  I did
foo <- function() stop("")
options(error=recover)
foo()

under ESS and everything worked fine.  However, when I put the call
foo() in a file and did C-c C-l, everything hung.  It is not using any
CPU.

So I guess the standard input is redirected to the file, and gets stuck.
Is there a way around that?