[ESS] 'Can't get splus2000 to work with ESS'

Richard M. Heiberger rmh at temple.edu
Sun Jan 23 00:13:11 CET 2005

Continuing my previous response:

The ddeclient problem is from a missing item in your PATH and
a missing program.

ddeclient is part of NTemacs.  It is not included as
part of Xemacs.  I have recommended in response to another query that you
get the ntemacs ddeclient use it with xemacs.  I have been told that ddeclient
will work with xemacs.  I do not use xemacs so I can't verify that myself.

To get ntemacs for actual use (which I have done for many years)
ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/windows/emacs-21.3-fullbin-i386.tar.gz  (18MB)

If all you want is the ddeclient, then get
ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/windows/emacs-21.3-barebin-i386.tar.gz  (4MB)
and just pull out the bin/ddeclient.exe file and place it somewhere in
your path.

S+4-msdos starts an S-Plus GUI and talks to it through an MSDOS buffer using ddeclient
as the intermediary.

Sqpe+4 starts an S-Plus console program inside an emacs buffer and talks to it
directly through emacs internals.

Good quality graphics with Sqpe in version S-Plus 4 is only static.  You can open
postscript() and other static drivers.  You cannot open any interactive drivers.

To get good quality dynamic graphics with Sqpe you need a current version of S-Plus.
Interactive graphics are available with Sqpe by using the java library supplied with
S-PLUS 6.1 and newer releases. Enter the commands:
          library(winjava)
          java.graph()
The current release is S-Plus 6.2

Rich