RPM's for [ESS], {was "Ess packages for Suse.. available ?"}

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Thu Jan 13 09:49:42 CET 2005

    AndyL> [Re-directing to ESS-help]

Thank you, Andy!

    AndyL> I seem to recall that Paul Johnson made an RPM for
    AndyL> RedHat (or was it Fedora?)...  Don't know how
    AndyL> compatible that is on SUSE.  (I just install from
    AndyL> source, which is as easy as Tony stated.)

A bit more recently, Tom Moertels has been providing RPM's for
ESS, from
  http://community.moertel.com/ss/space/RPMs/

and we have been shipping RPM.spec as part of the ESS
distribution such that people should be able to easily build
RPMs themselves.
OTOH, Tom's site still has only 5.2.3 even though ESS 5.2.4 is
now a week old...

At some point in time I had considered to build an RPM myself as
part of the release, since we are still running Redhat here
(such I would automatically have the necessary tools).
One of the reasons for not doing it in the end, was the issue of
properly signing the RPM which needed some extra steps I had
been too lazy to take.

In principle, I'd be rather happy to find volunteers (with a
"long" time committment) for doing this.  I don't know if there
needs to be more than one RPM for the different distributions
(Redhat, Fedora, SuSE, Mandrake, ??) or if everyone could just
use one.

Martin