[ESS] Problem with C-c Return

Stephen Eglen S.J.Eglen at damtp.cam.ac.uk
Mon Feb 21 12:35:35 CET 2005

 > Emacs: I've updated to this release in around the 5th of January, but based
 > on "M-x version" there was no change (I get the CVS compiled binary from
 > http://www.crasseux.com/emacs/).
 >
 > ESS, I have changed to 5.2.5 when it was released. Interestingly, I
 > apparently don't use this function as often as I thought. I just went back
 > and downloaded ess version back to 5.1.24 - all with the same result (which
 > in light of the next paragraph was rather silly). I'm sure that it's not
 > worthwhile going back any further.
 >
 > It then occurred to me that "comint-copy-old-input" is not actually defined
 > in ess anywhere, but in comint.el. A Google search for
 > "comint-copy-old-input" reveals as it's first link a patch to comint.el, in
 > which got replaced by "compint-insert-input" back in June last year. Details
 > are at
 >
 > http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2004-06/msg00832.html
 >
 > Any thoughts? Emacs bug?

hi Andreas,

This issue appeared a few weeks ago; It is both an Emacs CVS bug and
something in ESS.

1. Emacs in CVS was recently changed (maybe a couple of weeks ago) to
   fix this bug so that C-c RET works again in e.g. *shell* buffers.

2005-01-29  Richard M. Stallman  <rms at gnu.org>
	* comint.el (comint-insert-input): Undo previous changes;
	use last-input-event in interactive spec.

2. However, that fix to Emacs didn't cure the problem in ESS; this is
   something we need to look at.

Best wishes, Stephen