[ESS] Emacs and ESS installation issues in Windows

Stephen Eglen S.J.Eglen at damtp.cam.ac.uk
Sun Feb 13 16:35:17 CET 2005

Dear Vikas,

 > Variable binding depth exceeds max-specpdl-size
 >
 > and
 >
 > Lisp nesting exceeds max-lisp-eval-depth
 >
 > Emacs was installed at c:\emacs and ess-5.2.4 was at c:\ess-5.2.5.
 >
 > .emacs correctly identified the path to ess/lisp, and the path to R
 > was correctly specified in the path variable in the "control
 > panel/system/environment variables".
 >
 > Can somebody help me with what might have gone wrong?

Not sure what the erros are, but you can help us by making a
backtrace.  From the ESS manual:

---
   If Emacs reports an error, backtraces can help us debug the problem.
Type "M-x set-variable RET debug-on-error RET t RET".  Then run the
command that causes the error and you should see a *Backtrace* buffer
containing debug information; send us that buffer.
---
we might be able to see what's happened.  IN the meantime, can you
tell us what version of Xemacs this is with, and do you get errors
with other versions of XEmacS?

 > BTW, I have also had another installation problems on some of the
 > win98 machines. It does not find rterm.exe even when the path to
 > R/bin is specified in the path. Is there some other way of defining
 > the path to R. There must be some lisp file which one can
 > modify. Can somebody enlighten me on this as

Instead of setting the PATH in dos land, you can do this in Emacs.
Add something like the following to the end ofyour .emacs:

(setq inferior-R-program-name
	"c:/progra~1/R/rw2001/bin/rterm.exe")

adjusting of course to where your rterm.exe lives.  Please feedback if
this works.

Thanks, Stephen