[ESS] ESS + Gnu Emacs on OS X questions

Stephen Eglen S.J.Eglen at damtp.cam.ac.uk
Tue Feb 1 15:18:27 CET 2005

Seth Falcon writes:

 > On Jan 22, 2005, at 3:46 AM, Stephen Eglen wrote:
 >

 > >> C-c RET in *R* buffersis bound to `comint-insert-input' and is not
 > >> part of ESS from what I can see. I get the same error when
 > >> using this command in M-x shell.  Looks like this is a bug in CVS
 > >> emacs.  Will investigate.
 > >
 > > Seth: I think you have found a bug in CVS Emacs; I have reported it to
 > > the emacs developers.
 > > Stephen
 >
 > Stephen, thanks for looking into this and reporting it --- On the Linux
 > machine, where I don't see the error, I'm using a system installed
 > Emacs 21.3.1.

The good news is that C-c RET (bound to comint-insert-input) in
*shell* buffers now works again in today's CVS Emacs.  The bad news is
that C-c RET still does not work in *R* buffers in CVS.

I _think_ this is because comint-insert-input relies on fields to be
defined in *R* buffers and we have
comint-use-prompt-regexp-instead-of-fields set to t, which is needed
for other parts of ESS (this changed a few years ago).

C-c RET  in Emacs 21.3 works, simply because that is bound to
comint-copy-old-input, which uses regexps.

This is something for a rainy day ...!

Stephen