[ESS] [R] ESS and Emacs

Seth Falcon sethfalcon at gmail.com
Sat Dec 31 20:25:48 CET 2005

On 31 Dec 2005, Mleeds at kellogggroup.com wrote:

> I started part 3 of Kasper's document
> and installed ESS without a problem
> but now I'm stuck because this part
> definitely needs a .emacs file.
>
> If someone happens to be reading
> this and can let me know if it's okay
> for me to create one myself ( and where
> should it go ) and then put
> the load command in, that would be great.

You should be able to create your own .emacs file and it should go in
$HOME.

The .emacs file is the initialization/configuration file for Emacs.
You don't need one to run Emacs, but you do need one to do any kind of
configuration.

> I did a search for a .emacs file ( the
> one positive thing about this 3
> day ESS journey is that I have gotten
> more familiar with windows tools etc )
> and it only comes back with

Aside: If you are familiar with Linux, but using Windows, you may want
to check out the cygwin package which gives you a bash shell and many
unix tools to use on Windows.

+ seth