[ESS] ESS, install.packages() in R, and Windows

Pfaff, Bernhard Dr. Bernhard_Pfaff at fra.invesco.com
Mon Dec 19 17:48:17 CET 2005

    >> This sounds like a library loading issue -- does it happen with Rterm
    >> outside of ESS?  If so, it's an R bug.  Otherwise, perhaps we should
    >> just "library(tcltk")" on starting up ESS/R on Microsoft as
    >> initialization code.   (or "windows()").
    >>
    >> Are you sure that tcltk isn't needed?  Aren't those GUI windows tcltk
    >> based, or are they merely non-tk Microsoft windows?

    Henric> BTW, notice that `install.packages()' will work in ESS if you
    Henric> `chooseCRANmirror(graphics = FALSE)' first. This doesn't even
open a
    Henric> window device, but seems to initialize whatever it is that needs
to be
    Henric> initialized.

Yes.  But we'd like to find and solve the root problem.

I'm pretty sure you can reproduce the problem by calling  chooseCRANmirror()
directly {which is called from  contrib.url(c(CRAN = "@CRAN@"))
	  after  'flush.console()' }
and this itself calls  menu(*, graphics = TRUE)
and menu() checks internally if it's in an appropriate
environment and when it is, it tries to use a graphical menu,
otherwise a text one.

The most simple way to reproduce the problem will probably be
    select.list(LETTERS[1:7])

which --- on windows Rgui (or on the Mac) --- tries to open a
graphical list-box widget, and which would not work inside ESS
in Windows Rgui.  Can you confirm?

Hello Martin,

confirmed, similar to "install.packages()" one must either execute
"library(tcltk)" or "windows()" first, and then a select window with the
letters pops up. One side note, I am calling 'Rterm' in the file
"ess-site.el". Fore the remaining settings, pls. see my previous emails.

Best,
Bernhard

Martin