[ESS] Re: how to disable auto-fill-mode for editing R / S

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Thu Apr 7 09:23:18 CEST 2005

    Jing> I tried the two methods but they didn't work. Hope that next ESS
    Jing> version can have a modification on this issue.

Yes.  Auto-fill-mode will be turned off by default in ESS 5.2.7;
It was an accident that it's been turned on irrespectively of
user settings.

Furthermore the [ESS]  menu's  [Ess Edit] submenu will get an
entry "Toggle Auto-Fill Mode" for users who might have forgotten
about M-x auto-fill-mode.

Also, users who do like auto-fill-mode for editing S / R source,
would have something like

(add-hook 'ess-mode-hook
          '(lambda () (turn-on-auto-fill)))

in their ~/.emacs (or equivalent emacs startup) file.

ESS 5.2.7 is planned to be released sometimes next week.
I hope this issue will then be resolved satisfactorily.

Martin Maechler, ETH Zurich

Maybe this needs to be modified to

 (add-hook 'ess-mode-hook '(lambda () (auto-fill-mode 0)))

i.e., an extra  " ' "   before  "(lambda .."