[ESS] RGUI not responding

Kasper Daniel Hansen k.hansen at biostat.ku.dk
Fri Apr 1 03:55:04 CEST 2005

I would guess (note that I am not using XEmacs under windows) that you
have an issue with unistalling Xemacs. Often unistalling windows stuff
(ok, or Linux for that matter) does not remove any additional files you
might have placed.. somewhere. Eg. uninstalling R does not compeletely
delete the library directory. I would guess that you have some custom
file somehwere which does not get deleted.

So I would unistall Xemacs and then delete any XEmacs subfolders in
C:/program files/

I do not know if XEmacs stores any user-specific data, but I would try
to look in c:/documents and settings/USERNAME/application data/
and delete any Xemacs stuff (if there is anything there - I think this
is where Firefox keeps its stuff). And  perhaps do a system-wide search
for (X)emacs to see if there is any leftovers.

Kasper

On Thu, Mar 31, 2005 at 09:39:59PM +0100, Chris Evans wrote:
> On 31 Mar 2005 at 21:54, A.J. Rossini wrote:
>
> > I'm trying to find time to think about it, but not yet.  It's a weird
> > report.  I don't think you are wasting time, just some of us who want
> > to fix it are a bit busy.
>
> Yes, I regretted sending that as soon as I did and I think that's a
> very generous response under the circumstances.  Apologies all: I've
> had a sh*tty few months with my beloved FLOSS s'ware giving me
> problems etc. etc. but enough of my whingeing ...
>
> It remains weird.  I deleted xemacs completely (which I do rather
> like and have become used to) using its uninstaller.  It took two
> goes but uninstalled it.  I then downloaded the windows native
> installer, ran it again, got xemacs 21.4 patch 3 with ESS 5.2.3.
> That does what it's always done for me: loads an inferior R process
> when it launches without me asking it to or it asking me and it has
> the same bizarre behaviour when I run a shell.  One thing I've
> noticed is that if I run xemacs from an icon in c:\documents and
> settings\administrator\desktop\programs\ (my default place for things
> I run often) and if I then run esc-x shell I get two new empty
> subdirectories created off that directory, one named .exe, the other
> named -i.  I think there's clearly something wrong with my path, my
> registry or ... Here's path for what it's worth:
> PATH=C:\Program Files\XEmacs\XEmacs-21.4.13\i586-pc-
> win32;D:\Perl\bin\;C:\WINNT\system32;C:\WINNT;C:\WINNT\System32\Wbem;C
> :\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\Binn\;C:\Program
> Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\DLLShared;C:\Program Files\Common
> Files\GTK\2.0\bin;C:\progra~1\R\rw2001\bin;C:\Program Files\SPSS Data
> Access Pack\;c:\program files\gnuwin32\bin
>
> I have also reinstalled emacs 21.3 and ESS 5.2.6 and they work
> together and, for now, I'm not reproducing my original bug (which had
> been consistent for weeks!) and sufficiently tired of this to
> consider shifting from xemacs to emacs though I had really got to
> like the icons and some differences in the menus that xemacs gives
> and the "run paragraph" option that I had in the earlier ESS I had
> there which seems to have gone from both ESS versions I have now.
>
> If any of you who would like to fix this do find the time to suggest
> things, please do.  After Saturday night GMT I'll be off on leave for
> a week so if I don't respond until the 11th it's not that I'm rude,
> it's just that I'm skiing almost as badly as I do elisp, but more
> happily I hope!!
>
> Thanks all,
>
> Chris
> --
> Chris Evans <chris at psyctc.org>
> Consultant Psychiatrist in Psychotherapy, Rampton Hospital;
> Research Programmes Director, Nottinghamshire NHS Trust,
> Hon. SL Institute of Psychiatry
> *** My views are my own and not representative of those institutions
> ***

Kasper Daniel Hansen, Research Assistant
Department of Biostatistics, University of Copenhagen