[ESS] ESS speedbar (how to remove)?

Dan Bolser dmb at mrc-dunn.cam.ac.uk
Sat Nov 6 16:45:11 CET 2004

Hi,

I the latest version of ESS (see below), opening a '.R' file gives me a
very big and friendly 'speedbar' (I think that is what it is called).

It has about 7 buttons, each for some commen ESS tasks.

The thing is I would like to permanantly remove this bar from my emacs
window, because clicking to and from the process window and the 'ess-mode'
window causes the bar to appear and dissaper, and, as it is quite big (and
wraps round two 'lines'), it causes my text to jump around as it appears
and dissapears, meaning my selections get all messed up as I click.

The thing is my knowladge of Emacs can be written down in one line...

type emacs and it runs

Nevertheless I find using Emacs and R very usefull. Can you explain to an
ESS / Emacs newbi how to permananty remove this speedbar?

I get the following info by pretending to send a bug...

Emacs : GNU Emacs 21.3.1 (i386-redhat-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll
bars) of 2004-04-15 on bugs.devel.redhat.com Package: ess-mode 5.2.3

Dan.