[ESS] Re: running Stata SE 8.2 using ESS on Mac OSX

Rodney Sparapani rsparapa at mcw.edu
Fri Nov 5 14:27:40 CET 2004

> Hello
>
> I just changed platform from Linux to Mac OSX and upgraded from Stata 7
> to Stata 8 as well.
>
> I have been running Stata 7 from within Emacs using ESS, and would like
> to do the same with Stata 8. I have X11 (running full screen mode),
> Emacs, ESS, etc set up on my Mac, and "M-x R" would run R nicely on my
> Mac. But I cannot do the equivalent for Stata.
>
> Since Stata 8 now lives in the /Applications Folder of Mac, I have
> built a symbolic link from /usr/bin to Stata as follows:
>
> ln -s /Applications/Stata/StataSE.app/Contents/MacOS/StataSE stata
>
> This doesn't work. I then try adding
> /Applications/Stata/StataSE.app/Contents/MacOS/StataSE to my search
> path. And when I type "M-x stata", I get "Process Stata is not
> running".
>
> Has anyone got any experience with this problem? I would be most
> grateful for any suggestion?
>
> Many thanks in advance.
>
> Wing
>
> Department of Sociology, University of Oxford
> Manor Road, Oxford OX1 3UQ, UK
> tel +44 (1865) 286176 fax +44 (1865) 286171
> http://users.ox.ac.uk/~sfos0006

Hi Wing:

Unfortunately, I haven't had much like with Stata myself, but I haven't
tried it on Mac yet.
So, here are a couple of things that you can try.  First, I think your
executable is
/Applications/Stata/StataSE.app.  So, try either
ln -s /Applications/Stata/StataSE.app /usr/local/bin/stata
or
open /Applications/Stata/StataSE.app

If either of these work, let us know.  Many Aqua applications can be
started from the
command line, but some cannot.

Rodney