Behavior of C-c C-n

Stephen Eglen stephen at anc.ed.ac.uk
Sat May 22 18:13:16 CEST 2004

 >  > it looks like the variable
 >  >
 >  > comint-scroll-to-bottom-on-output
 >  >
 >  > didn't get set when we moved R to its own frame.
 >  >
 >  > For a temporary fix, from the *R* buffer, enter
 >  >     M-x : (setq comint-scroll-to-bottom-on-output t)
 >
 > To follow up on Rich's email, and on my earlier emails, I think the
 > temporary fix for the problem of not seeing the end of R output is
 > to add this to the end of your .emacs:
 >
 > (setq comint-scroll-to-bottom-on-output t)
 >
 > [The reason I couldn't repeat this bug is that I had this in my .emacs
 > file!]
 >
 > This is mentioned in the ess info file, but I thought this would be
 > unneccessary; and presumably if ESS 5.1.24 worked for others without
 > setting this extra var, I did introduce a bug somewhere, and will look
 > into this.

I have now looked into this bug, and this time think that I've fixed
it.  If some kind soul could test it out, I'd appreciate it!  Please
download the new version of ess-inf.el from

 http://www.anc.ed.ac.uk/~stephen/emacs/ess-inf.el

[ESS core: it is now in CVS]

If you have the following in your .emacs, then comment it out (put ;;
at the start of the line or delete it):
  (setq comint-scroll-to-bottom-on-output t)

Then re-run Emacs and R.  Try sending a few lines from an .R buffer to
*R* using C-c C-n and hopefully this time the cursor in the *R* buffer
will stay at the end of the *R* buffer.

Thanks,
Stephen