RefTeX with ESS and Sweave oddity...

Stephen Eglen stephen at anc.ed.ac.uk
Sun Jun 20 14:38:15 CEST 2004

hi Jeff,

 > ESS/Seave/R gurus:
 >
 > I've been using ESS with great delight for a few years and finally ventured
 > into Sweave territory!
 >
 > I've added the following (from the Sweave site) to my .emacs file,

[lisp snippet from Sweave site]

 > and I've notice when I try to use RefTex in an Rnw file, the behaviour is a
 > little off. When I type C-[ to add a citation, I get the usuall behaviour
 > and then as a scroll through the references I wish to add, the highlight bar
 > disappears and I only get the first citation in the search window, always.
 > Is there something else I need to add to this chuck in my .emacs file to
 > make that work?

I just tried adding citations using RefTeX to the following simple
file:
\documentclass[12pt]{article}

\usepackage{theapa}
\begin{document}

\maketitle

\section{first section}

\cite{eglen2003_neuron}

<<fig=TRUE>>=
hist(rnorm(999))
@

\bibliographystyle{theapa}
\bibliography{sjestrings,gen}

\end{document}

If I go to the \cite{} line and hit C-c C-[, and type a regexp, I get
the normal reftex list of matching citations; the highlight bar works
as normal (e.g. I can select the third element in the list, not just
the top match).

First thing to check is what versions of software you are using.  I am
working with [hit C-x C-e at the end of each non-indented line below
to get the answer in Emacs]

(emacs-version)
  GNU Emacs 21.3.2 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars)

reftex-version
  "RefTeX version 4.16"

ess-version
  "5.2.1"

I assume reftex in a normal .tex buffer works okay?

Stephen