ESS moves from CVS to subversion

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Sat Jul 31 15:44:06 CEST 2004

You may have heard that not only R, but also ESS has recently
moved from CVS to subversion  (http://subversion.tigris.org/)
{Both are source revision control systems of importance only to
 the code writers, i.e., ESS-core in our case}.

After I've found to that one can (and has to) set property
svn:mime-type (to 'text/html'), this change now has also
positive consequence for ESS users:

The most current version of HTML version of the ESS manual
is always online at

  https://svn.r-project.org/ESS/trunk/doc/html/index.html

Note the "s" in "https" and that you have to accept the
certificate (only once, you should be able to save it) even
though it's not one from a trusted authority, just one from our
Math Department of ETH.

Hoping this is useful to some,
Martin Maechler, ETH Zurich.