customizing ess 5.2.2 toolbar

Stephen Eglen stephen at inf.ed.ac.uk
Sat Jul 31 13:07:19 CEST 2004

Bjørn-Helge Mevik writes:
 > You kan use
 >
 >   (setq ess-use-toolbar nil)
 >
 > in ~/.emacs (or where you put your Emacs customizations) to turn off
 > the tool bar just in ESS, or
 >
 >   (tool-bar-mode 0)
 >
 > to turn it off completely.
 >
 > To control which icons get added to the bar, look into the variables
 > ess-toolbar-own-icons, and ess-toolbar-items.

Thanks Bjorn for that response.  The only thing I'd add is that if
people want to remove a few items from the toolbar, an alternative is
to use
  M-x customize-variable RET ess-toolbar-items RET
for an interactive way of adding/removing toolbar itmes,

 >  (Note that the "code is experimental and likely to change as
 > XEmacs/Emacs issues get resolved", to cite the ESS manual.)

And thanks for picking up on this comment.  I was hoping to use a
compatibility library for the ESS toolbar, but as yet it has not
materialised, so if the current code works well enough, it may move
from experimental to stable!

Stephen