[ESS] installation/ ess 5.2.3/ R 2.0.0/ mandrake

Stephen Eglen S.J.Eglen at damtp.cam.ac.uk
Tue Dec 7 11:34:37 CET 2004

Dear Sam,
the error suggests you are trying to load "menu.elc" which it cannot
find.  A quick look on XEmacs 21.4 and Emacs 21 shows me that too I
cannot find menu.elc; yet ESS works fine for me too, so I don't think
ESS loads menu.elc - maybe something else in your init files or system
is trying to load it.

Do you get the same error if you remove the line to load ess-site?

If you still believe it is an error with ESS, please follow the
guideline in the info file for reporting bugs:

----
   If Emacs reports an error, backtraces can help us debug the problem.
Type "M-x set-variable RET debug-on-error RET t RET".  Then run the
command that causes the error and you should see a *Backtrace* buffer
containing debug information; send us that buffer.
----

The *Backtrace* buffer should help us narrow this down.

Stephen