R: .Rhistory and Rinit.el (now installation of ESS 5.2.2)

8rino-Luca Pantani ottorino-luca.pantani at unifi.it
Tue Aug 24 13:12:52 CEST 2004

>The ESS 5.1.21 is about three years old.  Get the current version
>ESS 5.2.2 from
>http://stat.ethz.ch/ESS/downloads/

Hi all,
like Andreas I'm a newbie to R and Xemacs as well.
I'm using W2000 SP4 and R 1.9.1

I'm trying to install ESS 5.2.2 following the directions given in
http://stat.ethz.ch/ESS/downloads/doc/html/ess_2.html#SEC9.

I've got problems at the sixth step (reported below for your convenience)

>Add the line
>(load "/PATH/ess-site")
>to your .emacs (or _emacs) file (or default.el or site-init.el, for a
site-wide installation). >Replace /PATH above with the value of
ess-lisp-directory as defined in `ess-site.el'. Use
>forwardslashes /. (GNU Emacs uses the filename `%HOME%/.emacs' and XEmacs
uses
>the filename `%HOME%/.xemacs/init.el' for the initialization file.)

Since I'm using Xemacs, I modified the init.el file, right?
I added the line load "c:/PATH/....etc as follows, between those two lines.

(setq frame-title-format "%S: %f") ; show path along with file name
(load "c:/Programmi/Emacs/ess-5.2.2/lisp/ess-site.el")
(require 'ess-site) ; load ess

my init.el comes from the page
http://socserv.socsci.mcmaster.ca/jfox/Books/Companion/ESS/index.html

After this I receive the following messages

>(1) (initialization/error) An error has occurred while loading
>c:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\.xemacs\init.el:
>Beginning of buffer
>To ensure normal operation, you should investigate the cause of the error
>in your initialization file and remove it.  Use the `-debug-init' option
>to XEmacs to view a complete error backtrace.
>
>(2) (error/warning) Error in process filter: (void-variable
comint-last-input-end)
>(3) (warning/warning) Error caught in `font-lock-pre-idle-hook':
>    (wrong-type-argument markerp nil)
>(4) (error/warning) Error in process filter: (void-variable
comint-last-input-end)

Now, I have some questions (in relevance order).

1) Did I install ESS properly? Where's the problem?

2) I receive a similar message on my home computer (win98) where Xemacs do
not want to work, so
   I would learn how to start the -debug-init option

3) sometimes I notice that a Rterm program remains in memory, slowing down
the computer.
   I cancel it from task manager and everything comes back to normality.
   Should I cancel some other left-in-memory programs?

Thanks for your patience, and please forgive me if my English seems rude and
too direct.

Ottorino-Luca Pantani, Università di Firenze
Dip. Scienza del Suolo e Nutrizione della Pianta
P.zle Cascine 28 50144 Firenze Italia
Tel 39 055 3288 384 Fax 39 055 333 273 OLPantani at unifi.it
http://www.unifi.it/dssnp/