.Rhistory and Rinit.el

Richard M. Heiberger rmh at temple.edu
Mon Aug 23 11:37:06 CEST 2004

The ESS 5.1.21 is about three years old.  Get the current version
ESS 5.2.2 from
http://stat.ethz.ch/ESS/downloads/

The documentation in ESS covers most of your questions.
See  .../ess-5.2.2/doc/html/index.html

1) How I can change the working directory
and make it available for the first start of XEmacs/ESS?

See Section B.1

2a) I must write some R functions in the future and I would like to use
XEmacs for their development.

See Sections C.5 and C.6

2b) For more comfort (especially by printouts)
I'll use feature like automatic line break after 73 signs or showing
line and column numbers.

I don't recommend automatic line break.  Put the line breaks in the
myfile.r file at the places that make sense.  Use R-mode's automatic
indentation to reveal the structure.  If the indentation ever gets out
of phase, bring it back by highlighting a region and enter
M-x indent-region

For more information on indentation, enter
C-h m
from inside the myfile.r buffer.

Rich

2c) I found in the internet only some descriptions
for Changing (X)Emacs configurations under Linux but not especially for
XEmacs/ESS under Windows.

There is no difference in emacs configurations  between Unix and Windows.

I recommend the following lines for your .emacs or init.el file

(transient-mark-mode 1)
(line-number-mode 1)
(column-number-mode 1)
(show-paren-mode 1)