[Rd] Unbalanced parentheses printed by warnings() crash text editor

A.J. Rossini rossini at blindglobe.net
Fri Aug 20 15:37:08 CEST 2004

(address line truncated)

Martin Maechler <maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch> writes:

>     PD> Duncan Murdoch <murdoch at stats.uwo.ca> writes:
>     >> >I could have sent this to the ESS or Xemacs devel list, but ESS & Xemacs'
>     >> >attempt to find balanced parentheses accross many lines seems sensible,
>     >> >and is needed with very long functions.
>     >>
>     >> Yes, it's sensible to try, but it is a bug that they don't fail
>     >> gracefully.
>
>     PD> (Actually, it is not sensible; ESS should try harder to figure out
>     PD> what is actually R code. Much as I love ESS, it is a persistent fly in
>     PD> the ointment when the opening blurb comes up with "for" and "in" in
>     PD> magenta.)

Agreed with all -- it's an ESS bug.  I've made stabs in the recent
past at getting R's syntax into semantic (the Emacs parser tool) to
make much of these sorts of things more automatic (as well as provide
syntactical (?) completion :-).

I'll not have time again until next year, probably.

--
Anthony Rossini			    Research Associate Professor
rossini at u.washington.edu            http://www.analytics.washington.edu/

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message and any attachme...{{dropped}}