[Rd] Unbalanced parentheses printed by warnings() crash text editor

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Fri Aug 20 14:29:41 CEST 2004

    PD> Duncan Murdoch <murdoch at stats.uwo.ca> writes:
    >> >I could have sent this to the ESS or Xemacs devel list, but ESS & Xemacs'
    >> >attempt to find balanced parentheses accross many lines seems sensible,
    >> >and is needed with very long functions.
    >>
    >> Yes, it's sensible to try, but it is a bug that they don't fail
    >> gracefully.

    PD> (Actually, it is not sensible; ESS should try harder to figure out
    PD> what is actually R code. Much as I love ESS, it is a persistent fly in
    PD> the ointment when the opening blurb comes up with "for" and "in" in
    PD> magenta.)

I'm chiming in, since I have been addressed explicitly here (for
whatever reason):

Yes, yes, and yes to Duncan's and Peter's notes:

- This should have gone to the ESS-help mailing list
- it's no bug in R and a bug in ESS/Xemacs (actually a bug in Xemacs combined
  with a missing feature in ESS).

Martin Maechler

For the sake of ESS-help, here's the original message as well:

    Mayeul> ... Hope it is the good place for this
    Mayeul> (I discuss the question of the right place below).

    Mayeul> Most of the time, warnings are more than 1000

[?? you probably mean something like '100', not '1000', right?]

    Mayeul> characters long and thus are truncated.  Most of the
    Mayeul> time, this generates printouts with unbalanced parentheses.

    Mayeul> Intelligent text editors which do parentheses
    Mayeul> highlighting get very confused with this.  After too
    Mayeul> many warnings, they give errors, and may even crash.

crashing *must* be a bug of the editor setup (ESS - XEmacs -
Windows), not of R.