AW: [R] built-in Sweave-like documentation in R-2.x

A.J. Rossini rossini at blindglobe.net
Tue Aug 10 18:27:22 CEST 2004

Redirecting to ess-help since it belongs there:

David Forrest <drf5n at maplepark.com> writes:

> On Tue, 10 Aug 2004, A.J. Rossini wrote:
>
>> "Khamenia, Valery" <V.Khamenia at biovision-discovery.de> writes:
>>

>> > I think just smarter C-c C-r would be kind of trade-off here.
>> >
>> > hm, maybe there are some other voices here similar to mine?
>> > It would be easier to discuss the subj.
>>
>> Within ESS, you've got the ess-thread-eval (similar to
>> ess-chunk-eval), so the guts for cross-chunk evals are there, so the
>> next part would be as you say, making C-c C-r SWeave-aware.
>>
>> An simpler alternative to code would be to allow one to
>> eval-chunk-and-step, stepping through chunks, similar to C-c C-n for
>> stepping through lines.  Would this solve the basic problem?  3 x (2
>> or 3 keystrokes) for 3 chunks.
>
> I'd really like something like that -- I'll often be using repeated C-c
> C-n and accidently hit one on the end of the chunk and end up in
> TeX-normal mode due to AUCTeX, requiring a save and revert.
> Functionality like (M-n c M-x ess-eval-chunk) bound to a key would be
> great.  But with my elisp skills, I can't quite make this work:
>
> (defun ess-eval-chunk-and-step (vis)
>   "Tangle the current chunk, send to the ESS process, and move on
> to the next chunk.
>
> Arg has same meaning as for `ess-eval-region'."
>   (interactive "P")
>   (ess-eval-chunk vis)
>   (noweb-next-code-chunk)
> )

I'll try to take a look at it later this week, we'll see.  I'll be at
a conference next week, so can probably solve it then, worse to worse.

For an API, would you want to be able to:

C-u N C-c <binding to eval chunks>

to do the current and next N-1 chunks, i.e. C-u 4 C-c <binding to eval chunk>
does the current and next 3 chunks?  Or would the API you describe
(eval-and-step) suffice?

Comments?

best,
-tony

--
Anthony Rossini			    Research Associate Professor
rossini at u.washington.edu            http://www.analytics.washington.edu/

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message and any attachme...{{dropped}}