customizing ess 5.2.2 toolbar

Stephen Eglen stephen at inf.ed.ac.uk
Tue Aug 3 17:32:42 CEST 2004

hi Jack

 > Allow me to suggest that having to restart an application to see toolbar
 > changes a) is a really harsh restriction on the user; b) is contrary to
 > user expectation; and c) differs from how toolbar modification works in
 > every application I've ever tried it in on any platform.

Well, if there is sufficient demand for dynamic modification to the
toolbar, it can get added to the list of things to do.  Right now
though, its not a high priority (but as they say, "patches welcome!").
Also, the Commentary in the file does have the note:

;;; The toolbar can be customized in several ways.  To see options, do:
;;; M-x customize-group RET ess-toolbar RET
;;; If you change any of the variables, you may need to restart Emacs
;;; to see any effect.

 > This experience prompted me to batch-byte-compile ESS, which seems to
 > have worked, but it generated a bunch of warnings.

 > Is it reasonable to expect them to get cleaned up in a future
 > version?

Submit some patches and the answer might be yes!

I was a little taken aback by the apparent tone of your message.  This
is a co-operative project, we don't have infinite time to fix
everything!

Best wishes, Stephen