Setting dump file name

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Thu Sep 25 10:57:48 CEST 2003

    MatW> Hi, all.  I am trying to remove my user name from the
    MatW> beginning of my dump files.  I save them in
    MatW> project-specific directories that no-one else is
    MatW> using, so there's no risk of confusion, and it will
    MatW> help in putting them into a version control system so
    MatW> other people can in fact work on them.

    MatW> I have tried putting the following into my .emacs
    MatW> file: (setq ess-dump-filename-template "%s.S")

Nowadays, the recommended via is using "Customize Emacs"
(from the [Options] menu,
 either or directly by middle-mouse clicking on the
 underlined word "customize" in the help page you get after
 C-h v ess-dump-filename-template
)

which automagically produces something like

(custom-set-variables
  ;; custom-set-variables was added by Custom -- don't edit or cut/paste it!
 '(ess-dump-filename-template "%s.R")
)

in your ~/.emacs

    MatW> But it doesn't seem to help.
nor does the modern "customize" way.

    MatW> Changing, for example, the dump directory in the same
    MatW> .emacs file does change the directory to which files
    MatW> are dumped.
(yes, I know, since I've been doing that since ever ..)

    MatW> Any ideas?

It's a bug  {---> hence CC: to "ESS-bugs"} :

After adding the above, restarting Emacs,
      M-x R
      C-c C-d pi
then  C-h v ess-dump-filename-template
gives a *Help* buffer
ess-dump-filename-template's value is "%s.S"
Local in buffer maechler.pi.R; global value is "maechler.%s.R"

Which shows that the variable's setting is not used everywhere
it should. Grepping in ess/lisp/*.el quickly reveals that
all the essd-*.el  files
explicitly construct  ess-dump-filename-template by prepending
(user-login-name) ....
and post-pending the correct ending, namely  ess-suffix:  .R or
.S or ....

Ok, I'm working on fixing this.  I think a nice solution looks
possible.

As a workaround, do edit the ess/lisp/essd-<dialect>.el file
e.g., for R, it's  ess/lisp/essd-r.el file.

Martin Maechler <maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch>	http://stat.ethz.ch/~maechler/
Seminar fuer Statistik, ETH-Zentrum  LEO C16	Leonhardstr. 27
ETH (Federal Inst. Technology)	8092 Zurich	SWITZERLAND
phone: x-41-1-632-3408		fax: ...-1228			<><