compile-log error on emacs startup after ess install

mfmorss at aep.com mfmorss at aep.com
Wed Sep 17 17:14:47 CEST 2003

Greetings.

I downloaded ESS 5.1.19, ran 'make' and 'make install' (without errors
other than having to do with attempts to create html files, which
apparently failed), and added the appropriate load statement to ~/.emacs.

But now I find that whenever I start emacs, I receive a *Compile-Log*
message: "** ad-Orig-documentation called with 5 arguments, but accepts
only 1-2".  This problem disappears when I comment out the ess load
statement in ~/.emacs.  I grepped the .../ess-5.1.19/lisp directory for a
mention of this function, and could find nothing.

I use emacs 21.1.1 on AIX 5.0.  Since I do not have write access to the
emacs source directories, I installed ess in my home directory.

It may be perhaps be relevant that there seems to be a little problem with
the emacs documentation facilities on our site.  A few seeming innocent
help requests are capapable of producing strange errors, for example, "C-h
v RET emacs-version" returns "Invalid data in documentation file -- ^A
followed by 0120".

All the best,

Mark Morss
Principal Risk Analyst