XEmacs Installation on Win98

Rodney Sparapani rsparapa at mcw.edu
Wed Oct 29 16:07:38 CET 2003

> Dear all,
> I tried to install XEmacs + ESS on Win98 for use with R.
> Therefore, I followed the manual of John Fox (‚An Introduction to ESS
> + XEmacs for Windows Users of R’)
>
> As described there, I have
> downloaded XEmacs-21.4.9,
> created a „home“ directory by typing ‚set HOME=c:\’
> in my autoexec.bat file,
> created a subdirectory ‚c:\.xemacs’,
> copied the init.el from http://socserv.mcmaster.ca/jfox/Books/Companion/ESS/
> to this subdirectory,
> copied from the same website the further icon files to the toolbar of
> XEmacs,
> added the line ‚path=%path%;“c:\Program
> Files\R\rw1080\bin’ to the autoexec.bat file,
> specified the ‚Start in’ directory for XEmacs within the
> Properties in the pop-up menu by typing c:\temp.
>
> After launching XEmacs I recieved the following error:
> ‚(1) (initialization/error) An error has occurred while loading
> c:\.xemacs\init.el:
> Cannot open load file: ess-site’
>
> Following the manual I alternativly modified the search path for the
> rterm.exe within the init.el file - with the same result of an error message shown
> above.
>
> Did I miss something during the described installation?
> Thank you very much for your help!
> Regards,
> Jan Wunder

Jan:

Thanks for the link to that web page.  We'll have to add that link to
the ESS web page since it was very informative.  However, there is one
problem.  The following line from init.el:
(require 'ess-site) ; load ess

needs a bit more elaboration, like:
(require 'ess-site "path-to-ESS-lisp-subdirectory") ; load ess

where you replace path-to-ESS-lisp-subdirectory appropriately for your
installation.
--
Rodney Sparapani              Medical College of Wisconsin
Sr. Biostatistician           Patient Care & Outcomes Research