Replacing underscore character

Ross Darnell r.darnell at uq.edu.au
Fri Aug 15 00:43:13 CEST 2003

<<<Message originally filtered because of subject
   "Re: ESS-help Digest, Vol 6, Issue 8" -- (vacation programs!)
   Moderator needed to chang subject and repost *manually*

Martin Maechler <maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch> writes:

> Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 15:51:44 +0200
> From: Martin Maechler <maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch>
> Subject: Re: [R] Replacing underscore character in Windows GUI
> To: ESS-help at stat.math.ethz.ch

>     PD> Martin Maechler <maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch> writes:
>     tony> I'd be happier removing "=" for assignment, as well.  It's a
>     tony> monstrosity, though supposedly wiser heads think otherwise.  I know
>     tony> the arguments, but I still think it should be removed.
>     >>
>     tony> Maybe we'll make "=" electric -- one press becomes "<-", two presses
>     tony> become "==".  Emacs is wonderful, sometimes.
>     >>
>     >> This is an interesting proposal.
>
>     PD> But if you don't check whether you're in an argument list, it becomes
>     PD> a little too "interesting"....
>
> Definitely.  And we have been here before.
> This might be quickly feasible if using simple heuristics.
> But potentially daunting otherwise...  Any volunteers for an
> (defun ess-inside-arglist (region) ....) emacs-lisp function ?
>
> User keyboard interface :
> I'm currently musing around
>
> `='     |->  electric:  "=" or " <- " depending on (ess-inside-arglist)
> `=='    |->  "=="
> `C-u =' |->  "=" always)

I thought C-q was the default 'quoted-insert' which would seem more
appropriate.

> `_'     |->  " <- "  or   "_"   depending on variable ess-US (really longer name)
> `C-u _' |->  "_"     or  " <- " depending on ess-US (the other value)
>
> Note that  "C-c =" is also free, but needs a little more typing.
> What other ideas are around?
>
> Regards,
> Martin

[...]

--
Ross Darnell
School of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences