starting inferior Splus process iESS[S]

Steve McKinney smckinney at insightful.com
Wed Apr 16 19:15:51 CEST 2003

Thanks.  I'll sleep better tonight!  I should be fine running
emacs 21.2.

> On fontification of dired, try adding this line to your .emacs
>   (global-font-lock-mode 1)

This works as advertised.  Thank you!

> The line
> c:/programfiles/insightful/splus61/cmd/splus.exe
> /MULTIPLEINSTANCES S_PRINT_COMMAND=gnuclientw.exe S_PROJ=e:/foo
>
> suggests that you have an invalid address in your .emacs or
> ess-site.el
> file
> "c:/programfiles/" is not right.  Replace it with
> "c:/progra~1/"

This address is correct.  To avoid the many problems encountered
with cygwin, apache tomcat, and other (including microsoft)
programs that choke on spaces in file names, I install
many programs to c:\programfiles.
Are ESS routines (or the cygwin routines they call)
restricted to DOS 8.3 file name conventions?
Is a folder name of more than 8 characters a problem?

> ..The 30 second delay is builtin to ESS.  It is necessary on
> 300MHz machines
> to allow the independent S-Plus process to initialize itself
> before ESS starts
> sending it commands.  In principle ESS should be sensitive to
> the speed of the
> processor and adjust the delay time.  My personal preference
> is for S-Plus
> to work off a pipe.  On Windows, Sqpe works off the pipe and
> doesn't have
> interactive graphics with wingraph and doesn't have the GUI.
>
> The non-functioning S-Plus that you see looks like what you might get
> if the final "&" in a unix invocation were not there.  Why
> you get it with
> msdos I don't know.  My recommendation is to fix the path and
> use the cygwin
> shell invocation of S, that is the M-x S+6 and not bother with the
> M-x S+6-msdos.

When I try this I always get the error message

 c:/programfiles/insightful/splus61/cmd/splus.exe /MULTIPLEINSTANCES S_PRINT_COMMAND=gnuclientw.exe S_PROJ=e:/foo

 Process S+6 exited abnormally with code 128 at Tue Apr 15 17:52:59 2003

so I'm still trying to figure out what code 128 is about.

c:\cygwin\bin is in my Windows PATH variable.  Are there other
directories needed in the path to enable ESS to run S-PLUS?

> Your startup line includes the argument
>     S_PRINT_COMMAND=gnuclientw.exe
> .because we make the default assumption that you have gnuserv running.
> If you don't I recommend you get it.

I do have gnuserv running, and am always looking for tips
on how to get more functionality out of it.
Any suggestions or pointers to good websites would be appreciated.

> Rich

Thank you, Rich, for all your help.
I am getting closer to making the
ESS - S-PLUS link fully functional.
Any additional advice appreciated.

Steven McKinney
Consulting Services
Insightful Corporation

smckinney at insightful.com

tel: (800) 569-0123 x349
tel: (206) 283-8802 x349
fax: (206) 283-8691

Insightful Corporation
1700 Westlake Avenue North, Suite 500
Seattle, Washington 98109-3044 USA

Insightful Corporation (www.insightful.com)
provides analytical solutions leveraging
S-PLUS, StatServer, S-PLUS Analytic Server,
Insightful Miner, and consulting services.