ESS+R Win2000 Crash

A.J. Rossini rossini at blindglobe.net
Tue Apr 8 15:18:14 CEST 2003

"Darryl" <darryl.greig at hp.com> writes:

> Hi Everyone,
> In my googling (and submission to the R-help list) I still have not found a
> solution to this issue. I am using ESS 5.1.24 together with emacs 21.2.1 for
> Win32 (Win2000, in this case). The linked statistics package is R 1.6.2. I
> have had a disturbing number of system crashes (BSOD) while using this
> arrangement. The system message is usually something like "page fault on a
> non-paged region", and is often (although not always) connected to trying to
> resize the emacs window. Once it occured when quitting from another
> application entirely while the emacs window was open. The facts:
> [1] this has never occured while using emacs alone (i.e. without ESS+R)
> [2] the R-help list think it is probably not an R issue.
>
> Has anyone else had this experience? I expected this to be a known bug of
> some sort, but google etc remain silent. Any clues as to what this might be.
> I am loathe to return to the windows R gui, but  I will have to if emacs+ess
> performs this way.

I'm used to seeing hangs (processes don't die) but I've not seen
crashes.  It might be an Emacs problem, note that we can't cause
crashes, but Emacs or R can.  Window resizing has been problematic
under W2k -- note the comments re: resizing Rgui on the R list.

Two thoughts:

#1 - do you ever run shell within Emacs, and does it happen there?

#2 - have you tried XEmacs?

best,
-tony

--
A.J. Rossini  rossini at u.washington.edu  http://software.biostat.washington.edu/
FHCRC:Tu: 206-667-7025 (fax=4812)|Voicemail is pretty sketchy/use Email