ESS+R Win2000 Crash

Darryl darryl.greig at hp.com
Tue Apr 8 08:40:45 CEST 2003

Hi Everyone,
In my googling (and submission to the R-help list) I still have not found a
solution to this issue. I am using ESS 5.1.24 together with emacs 21.2.1 for
Win32 (Win2000, in this case). The linked statistics package is R 1.6.2. I
have had a disturbing number of system crashes (BSOD) while using this
arrangement. The system message is usually something like "page fault on a
non-paged region", and is often (although not always) connected to trying to
resize the emacs window. Once it occured when quitting from another
application entirely while the emacs window was open. The facts:
[1] this has never occured while using emacs alone (i.e. without ESS+R)
[2] the R-help list think it is probably not an R issue.

Has anyone else had this experience? I expected this to be a known bug of
some sort, but google etc remain silent. Any clues as to what this might be.
I am loathe to return to the windows R gui, but  I will have to if emacs+ess
performs this way.

Thanks,
Darryl Greig.