[R-sig-ME] glmmadmb Negative binomial dispersion parameter

Mollie Brooks mbrooks at ufl.edu
Tue Feb 23 16:47:53 CET 2016

Hi Marte,

Overdispersion isn’t usually a concern with the negative binomial distribution. It’s a problem with distributions where the variance is strictly tied to the mean, like the Poisson.

There are two different ways that glmmadmb lets the variance relate to the mean. See the details of the help file for descriptions of "nbinom" and "nbinom1". You could compare the AIC of models fit with each of these if you want to see which one is best. I don’t know of other diagnostics, but maybe someone else will chime in.

cheers,
Mollie

Mollie Brooks, PhD
Postdoctoral Researcher, Population Ecology Research Group
Department of Evolutionary Biology & Environmental Studies, University of Zürich
http://www.popecol.org/team/mollie-brooks/