[R-sig-ME] Replicating type III anova tests for glmer/GLMM

Francesco Romano francescobryanromano at gmail.com
Tue Feb 23 13:06:18 CET 2016

Thanks to Henrik and Phillip for the quick reply.
Your suggestions have been helpful in making progress.

On the one hand Henrik is right about
reporting coefficients and standard errors when
there are only two levels for the each predictor. This is
consistent with two of the sources I mentioned so far.
I infer that the authors reported directly from the summary(m1)
after use of the mixed function (not car::Anova which yields chi
square tests).

On the other hand, I don't understand how Cai et al. (2012) p.842,
"combined analysis experiments 1 and 2", reported the main effect
of a factor with 4 levels via a single estimate, SE, z, p coefficient.
How did they obtain this and is this the right way?

Finally, after running analysis both ways, I get slightly different
p-values, with the car::Anova method being more conservative
(it yields less significant predictors). Is this normal?

Frank