[R-sig-ME] glmmadmb - problems understanding the output when run in cmd console

Ben Bolker bbolker at gmail.com
Wed Jan 13 01:01:18 CET 2016

  In the long run it would probably be better to figure out why
glmmADMB isn't running in RStudio ... it might also be interesting to
see whether the glmmTMB (aka the New Hotness,
https://github.com/glmmTMB/glmmTMB) might work.

  In the short run, what you need to know is probably documented in
?admbControl:

if you want to try running the ADMB model outside of R,
              use ‘run=FALSE’ and set ‘save.dir’ in the ‘glmmADMB’
              arguments.  This will result in a saved directory
              containing the ‘glmmadmb’ executable (on systems other
              than Windows) as well as ‘glmmadmb.pin’ and
              ‘glmmadmb.dat’ files.  You can then run the ‘glmmadmb’
              executable with appropriate command-line arguments in a
              command shell or terminal window.  If you run the same R
              command again (i.e. still with ‘run=FALSE’ and with the
              same ‘save.dir’) ‘glmmADMB’ will find any output files
              that have been produced and read them into a ‘glmmadmb’
              object.

In other words, if you run

   glmmadmb(...,run=FALSE)

after running the ADMB executable manually from the shell, then the
function should automatically locate the output files and read them
into a well-set-up object for you.

  Ben Bolker