[R-sig-ME] lmer random and fixed effect?

Farrar, David Farrar.David at epa.gov
Fri Aug 15 00:17:47 CEST 2014

In agreement, I think, I hazard a guess that the research questions relate to levels of open, agree, and social which have been measured at the class or school level.   Could a correct specification be ~ open + agree + social + (1 | school/class) ?
The school part could get a little tricky as follows.   It could be asked "did you see any difference between east schools and west schools?" etc.  The possibilities seem to be to evaluate the school blups or add in and test an east-west fixed factor.  Seems either way you could easily get into a multiple-testing problem by commenting extensively.  If you submit speculations based on blups for publication, you might be asked why they are not formally tested.  How do editors respond to interpretations based on blups?