[R-sig-ME] Random effect variance = zero

Marco Plebani marcoplebani85 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 14 12:54:25 CEST 2014

Dear list members,

Package blme has been suggested for fixing issues with random effect variance = zero in other occasions, but I do not understand the rationale behind it. What does blme that lme4 does not? In which way do the two approaches differ? In particular:
- what is the prior information that blme is using, and
- how comes that blme still estimates parameter values and assign p-values to them? According to my (very limited) knowledge of bayesian stats the outcome of the analysis should be an updated distribution of the possible parameter values.

The available documentation about blme is limited and/or I could not find it. I realize that my question on blme hides another, much broader, on how bayesian stats work; regarding the latter, a suggestion of a good, practice-oriented reference book would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

Marco

-----
Marco Plebani, PhD candidate (Ecology) at the University of Zurich
Institute of Evolutionary Biology and Environmental Studies
http://www.ieu.uzh.ch/staff/phd/plebani.html