[R-sig-ME] Random slope/intercept without correlation in lmer

Steve Walker steve.walker at utoronto.ca
Tue Aug 12 03:19:03 CEST 2014

The `dummy` function in lme4 might be useful.  Here's the example from
the ?dummy help file:

data(Orthodont,package="nlme")
      lmer(distance ~ age + (age|Subject) +
           (0+dummy(Sex, "Female")|Subject), data = Orthodont)

Here's another example:

lmer(distance ~ dummy(Sex, "Female") +
      (dummy(Sex, "Female") || Subject),
      data = Orthodont)