[R-sig-ME] Changes of estimate sign when interaction effects are highly significant

MORAN LOPEZ, TERESA tmoranlopez at mncn.csic.es
Tue Mar 5 18:56:07 CET 2013

Hi everyone,
I am trying to evaluate the effects of WUE and drought on trees
growth. I am running a mixed model in which my dependent variable is
growth and my fixed effects are WUE, drought and their interaction. My
random variables treeID nested in year. When the interaction among the
two variables is not included, the effects of WUE on growth is
negative and the effects of drought negative which is very intuitive.
However, the best model includes the interaction (which is highly
significant), and then the sign of the main effects change, now both
drought and WUE have a positive effect on growth! And the sign of the
interaction is negative...
Does anyone know what could be happening? Does this mean that when we
have a very significant interaction between two fixed effects they
cannot be interpreted separately?
Thanks