[R-sig-ME] fixing covariances to 0 in MCMCglmm

Jarrod Hadfield j.hadfield at ed.ac.uk
Thu Jan 31 11:05:25 CET 2013

Hi Celine,

Sorry, this is still not available. Given that there is no information
in the data to estimate the covariances you want to set to zero, I
wonder whether there is anything wrong with just having a fully
unstructured matrix and then ignoring the covariances? The information
for those covariances will come solely from the prior, but I would
expect that the posteriors for those (co)variances that can be
estimated would remain valid. It may reduce mixing, but would be one
solution.

Cheers,

Jarrod

Quoting Celine Teplitsky <teplitsky at mnhn.fr> on Wed, 30 Jan 2013
19:09:57 +0100:

> Dear all,
>
> I would like to run an animal model in MCMCglmm with 3 traits, 2
> male traits and one female trait, but I do not know how to fix the
> covariances between sexes for Vpe and Vr to 0. From what I
> understood from an earlier post by Jarrod, it was not possible 2
> years ago, but any chance it is now?
> Many thanks in advance for help,
>
> All the best
>
> Celine
>
> --
>
> Celine Teplitsky
> Département Ecologie et Gestion de la Biodiversité UMR 7204
> Unité Conservation des Espèces, Restauration et Suivi des Populations
> Case Postale 51
> 55 rue Buffon 75005 Paris
>
> Webpage :http://www2.mnhn.fr/cersp/spip.php?rubrique96
> Fax : (33-1)-4079-3835
> Phone: (33-1)-4079-3443

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.