[R-sig-ME] Fwd: lmer stand dev of coefficients

Daniel Ezra Johnson danielezrajohnson at gmail.com
Sun Dec 21 16:40:22 CET 2008

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Daniel Ezra Johnson <danielezrajohnson at gmail.com>
Date: Sun, Dec 21, 2008 at 3:39 PM
Subject: Re: [R-sig-ME] lmer stand dev of coefficients
To: Douglas Bates <bates at stat.wisc.edu>

Can you explain briefly what circumstances would lead these quantities
to be quite different?

Suppose the random effect grouping factor is Subject.

On what basis would the software estimate the unconditional SD of (the
population of) Subjects to be something quite different (and as you
say, usually larger) than that of the particular group of Subjects in
the data?

Dan