[R-sig-ME] Summarizing the fitted model takes more RAM than fitting it

Douglas Bates bates at stat.wisc.edu
Sat Dec 13 16:18:02 CET 2008

The summary object contains a copy of the original fitted model.  At
the time of return it must be an actual copy.  My guess is that it is
the need to create two copies of the fitted model object that is
causing the memory overflow.  You may want to set a trace on the
summary method for signature(object = "mer") and step through the
evaluation to see where the problem arises.  My guess is that it will
be at the point where the new "summary.mer" object is created.

The need to create copies of very large objects is a problem that I
have wrestled with in the design of the lme4 package.  To maintain the
functional language semantics of R  you cannot modify an argument to a
function, even a replacement function.  If your model-fitting function
is based on iterative optimization and the objects involved are very
large then the need to create copies often is a problem.  The current
version of lme4 gets around this problem by cheating and modifying the
arguments to certain .Call functions.  The development version (in the
allcoef branch of the SVN tree for lme4 at R-forge) is cleaner in that
it uses an environment to hold the objects representing the model
during the optimization.  Environments are special in that they are
never copied so they provide a legitimate way of implementing call by
reference semantics.