[R-sig-ME] Sample size and mixed models

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Fri Dec 12 23:24:03 CET 2008

Hi, Ben:

      In your example with 100091 observations in 444 groups, I think
the proper "n" depends on the variance components:  If the group
variance dominants and the within-group variance is negligible, then you
have only 444 "observations".  If the between-group variance is
negligible relative to the with-group variance, your 100091 observations
are practically independent, so you should use that number.

      I think the formula you want to use is as follows:

           IC = (-2)*log(likelihood at MLE) + 2*bias,

where IC = "Information Criterion", discussed by Sadanori Konishi and
Genshiro Kitagawa (2007) Information Criteria and Statistical Modeling
(Springer);  this formula appears on p. 55.

      Later, they derive the following formula for the bias (p. 59):

           bias = trace(solve(observed information, covariance of the
score function)).

      The book develops many variations on this theme, including the
traditional AIC (sec. 3.4.4), BIC (ch. 9), AICc (p. 191), and a
Bootstrap Information Criterion (ch. 8).

      Hope this helps.
      Spencer