[R-sig-ME] single argument anova for GLMMs not yet implemented

Andrew J Tyre atyre2 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Thu Dec 11 22:52:06 CET 2008

I also like the explanation of quasi-likelihood vs. glmm, but I can say
from an ecological perspective I frequently encounter situations in which
I have included all the random effects of blocks, plots, times etc, and
still have massive amounts of overdispersion. A student in my Ecological
Statistics class examined repeated counts of grasshoppers in plots that
have or have not received nitrogen addition. A poisson family glmm gives a
nice account of the effects of total veg biomass, date, and nitrogen
addition, but the residual deviance  is  > 1700 for a sample size of about
400. I would love to be able to fit a negative binomial model in that
case; I typically resort to using WinBUGS and MCMC to do this, but that is
beyond what I can get my students to do in a one semester course.

I have encountered situations in which even using a negative binomial
model (for counts) or beta-binomial type model ( for proportion of success
data) are insufficient to explain the variability in ecological
situations. In these cases I usually have reason to believe that there is
a discrete mixture going on - ie the observations are coming from two or
more distinct populations which have not been distinguished by anything
the observer can record, or thought to record (immune status for parasite
hosts, for example). I have tried quasi- family models in those cases, but
always felt a little uncomfortable drawing much in the way of inference. I
understand likelihood!

Anyway, I appreciate the tool. It is very nice and continues to get
better! Thanks,

Drew Tyre

School of Natural Resources
University of Nebraska-Lincoln
416 Hardin Hall, East Campus
3310 Holdrege Street
Lincoln, NE 68583-0974

phone: +1 402 472 4054
fax: +1 402 472 2946
email: atyre2 at unl.edu
http://snr.unl.edu/tyre

"Douglas Bates" <bates at stat.wisc.edu>
Sent by: r-sig-mixed-models-bounces at r-project.org
12/11/2008 03:00 PM

"Andrew Robinson" <A.Robinson at ms.unimelb.edu.au>
cc
R Mixed Models <r-sig-mixed-models at r-project.org>, Murray Jorgensen
<maj at stats.waikato.ac.nz>
Subject
Re: [R-sig-ME] single argument anova for GLMMs not yet implemented

On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 2:52 PM, Andrew Robinson
<A.Robinson at ms.unimelb.edu.au> wrote:
> Echoing Murray's points here - nicely put, Murray - it seems to me
> that the quasi-likelihood and the GLMM are different approaches to the
> same problem.

I agree and I also appreciate Murray's elegant explanation.

> Can anyone provide a substantial example where random effects and
> quasilikelihood have both been necessary?

I'm kind of waiting for Ben Bolker to let us know how things look from
his perspective.  I seem to remember that Ben and others in ecological
fields were concerned about overdispersion, even after incorporating
random effects.