[R-sig-ME] Between and within variance in a GLMM

Daniel Ezra Johnson danielezrajohnson at gmail.com
Thu Nov 27 17:15:02 CET 2008

I've done a very quick test of this issue of deviance() vs. logLik(),
using a simpler model than the type illustrated in the link
https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-mixed-models/2008q3/001175.html.

For glmer() whether its a "gaussian" or "binomial" model,
deviance(mod) equals -2*logLik(mod).

For glm() the same is true if it's a "binomial" model.

For a "gaussian" glm() model, the two quantities are different. i
believe that deviance() gives the residual sum of squares, and that
logLik() gives ... a scaled deviance? I don't know.

Contrary to what was said above, I think that logLik() of a glm()
gaussian model is the quantity that is comparable to logLik() or
deviance() of a glmer() gaussian model.

Dan