[R-sig-Geo] NetCDF to raster error

Robert Buitenwerf buitenwerf at em.uni-frankfurt.de
Mon Oct 3 15:57:30 CEST 2011

Dear all,

I am trying to read/open a netCDF file, but it keeps giving me the
Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library error: "This application has
requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way..."

I am trying to open the CRU TS3.1 climate data.

raster('netcdf_file') gives me this error.
open.ncdf('netcdf_file') too.
I can read the file using open.nc() in the RNetCDF package and get info
about the variables and attributes, but when I extract variables using
var.get.nc() I get the same error. However when I set the count argument
(number of time steps) to a small number (e.g. 20) I can extract values.

This makes me think the file size (2.6 Gb) is a problem. If so, is there
a way to read in netcdf data in chunks?

I run R on Windows 7 64 bit.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Robert Buitenwerf