[R-SIG-Finance] getSymbols for FRED in quantmod has stopped working???

Joshua Ulrich josh.m.ulrich at gmail.com
Fri Jul 3 17:30:48 CEST 2015

On Fri, Jul 3, 2015 at 3:17 AM, Alexander Gracian <agracian at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi,
> I have started getting an error when using getSymbols for FRED in quantmod. It was working fine a few weeks ago. I'm using R on a Mac:
> getSymbols("CPIAUCSL", src="FRED")Error in download.file(paste(FRED.URL, "/", Symbols[[i]], "/", "downloaddata/",  :   cannot open URL 'http://research.stlouisfed.org/fred2/series/CPIAUCSL/downloaddata/CPIAUCSL.csv'
> If I paste the URL in the error message into a browser it downloads the csv fine, so I think the url is ok.It also works ok for other sources, such as yahoo etc.

The FRED http:// URLs now redirect to https://.  That causes issues
with the default method for download.file on some platforms.  I'm
aware of the issue and working on a fix.

See the conversation on R-package-devel if you're interested in the details:
https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-package-devel/2015q3/000193.html

> Any insights would be appreciated.
> Thanks,Alex

Joshua Ulrich  |  about.me/joshuaulrich