[R-SIG-Finance] Optimization Question

Hyun-U Sohn ghsohn at gmail.com
Tue Dec 30 23:56:33 CET 2008

Well, for BM/GBM, you could calculate the expected value of MDD over
the investment horizon according to Magdon-Ismail et al. 2003 (?) or
their article in Risk and use that. That shouldn't be too hard, but
depending on how the parameters are determined, it's unlikely to be
very useful for risk management. Which is why I would be interested in
which specific distributional assumptions the original question was
aiming at. Indeed I'd be grateful for references on sampling
distributions of MDD for processes other than BM, or for that matter
even what form the sampling distribution of MDD of BM takes. Or do you
plan to use some Monte Carlo method to calculate MDD or any of the
other risk measures in the post?